How to heal the Root Chakra
The Root Chakra is the foundation from which our life force energy springs. It is responsible for grounding us and keeping us stable both physically and spiritually.
An imbalanced Root Chakra can disrupt the flow of energy throughout our being and result in fear, anxiety and physical ailments. Luckily there are lots of different ways to support this vital energy center.
In this article we look at ways to heal the Root Chakra and achieve balance in your energetic body.
What is the Root Chakra?
What do you visualize when you hear the word root?
A sturdy, grounded tree can grow tall because it is anchored by its roots. The Root Chakra, just like the root of that sturdy tree, keeps us grounded.
The Root Chakra (also known as the Muladhara Chakra or Base Chakra) is the first of the seven chakras. The chakras are like wheels of energy and the well-being of the entire body is dependent on them. As the Base Chakra, it is the beginning of everything.
It is located between the perineum and the lower spine, near the adrenal glands and the anus. It is symbolized by a lotus with four red petals.
It is linked to the Earth element and is concerned with our basic primal needs.
What does the Root Chakra do?
The Root Chakra plays a vital role in the well-being of the entire body.
When it functions properly, it directs energy to all the other main chakras - the Sacral Chakra, Solar Plexus Chakra, Heart Chakra, Throat Chakra, Third Eye Chakra and Crown Chakra - so they can spin in harmony. But when the Root Chakra is imbalanced, you may feel depressed, disorganized, and anxious.
The Root Chakra is associated with stability, security, and survival. Apart from affecting your mental and physical health when imbalanced, it can also disturb your relationships. A balanced Root Chakra keeps you grounded and present, calm and at peace along with feeling secure, stable, and responsible.
What does a Root Chakra imbalance look like?
Just like our physical body, the Root Chakra is impacted by our external environment and our past experiences. This can include, for example, past trauma, work stress or relationship issues.
When the Root Chakra becomes blocked or imbalanced it can manifest itself in a range of different physical and emotional symptoms, such as:
- Hormonal imbalances
- Sleeping difficulties or insomnia
- Constipation or digestive issues
- Sudden weight gain or loss
- A weak immune system
- Feeling anxious and insecure
- An obsession with money and material goods
- Feeling stressed or hyperactive
- Feeling fearful about the future
- Feeling lost and without purpose
- Feeling disconnected from the world and others
- Constantly questioning the meaning of life
How to heal your Root Chakra
There are several ways to unblock, heal and nurture your Root Chakra. Some people choose to use precious stones and crystals to balance and unblock the Root Chakra. Garnet, Red Jasper, Black Tourmaline, and Bloodstone are all very popular for Root Chakra healing.
As the color of the Root Chakra is red, eating red fruits and vegetables such as beets, carrots, tomatoes, strawberries, and cherries can be very beneficial for this energy center. Likewise root vegetables grown in the earth can be particularly helpful for the Root Chakra.
Movements to balance the Root Chakra
Getting out into nature and moving your body are great ways to connect with your Root Chakra and send it healing energy. You could consider the following movements to balance the Root Chakra:
- Walking barefoot, especially on damp grass to connect to the earth.
- Do some gardening - not only is it great exercise but it deepens your connection to nature.
- Certain yoga poses and asanas such as tree pose, garland pose, and warrior pose can help in addressing physical issues associated with the Root Chakra.
- Hiking and walking through the countryside can be very effective particularly when combined with walking meditation.
These movements allow you to be present in your body and reconnect with Earth, which is the true element of the Root Chakra.
Sound to balance the Root Chakra
- Singing bowls - Different vibrations can have different effects on the human body and our energy centers. Each chakra has its own musical note, for the Root Chakra it's the note "C". Using a singing bowl for the Root Chakra can be a wonderfully calming way to connect with our chakras.
- Gong bath - A special kind of waterless bath in which one bathes in healing vibrations of sounds produced by gongs.
- Mantras – Chanting different mantras for the Root Chakra can help immensely. “LAM” is the seed mantra for the Root Chakra. Chanting this word will emit vibrations which can help to activate the Root energy center.
Meditation to balance the Root Chakra
Chakra meditation is an excellent way to focus the mind, and it's particularly useful for energy healing. Multiple meditation techniques can be used for awakening the Root Chakra:
- Simple Root Chakra meditation – Close your eyes and visualize a red aura emanating from the bottom of your spine where your Root Chakra is located. Visualize it spreading through your body with each breath you take.
- Lam chanting meditation - Every chakra has its own healing sound and saying “LAM” in between slow deep breaths can help in Root Chakra healing.
- Grounding cord meditation - This is a simple visualization meditation technique:
- Bring your attention to your Root Chakra at the base of the pelvis.
- Visualize the trunk of your favorite tree growing down from the base of your spine.
- Breathe deeply in and out as you feel yourself becoming grounded and supported by the earth.
- With each inhalation, imagine drinking in the nourishment your body needs right now, and with each exhalation, imagine releasing what no longer serves you and sending it down to earth.
The Root Chakra serves as a vital energy center for the other chakras of the subtle body.
This chakra can get blocked due to stress, trauma, and anxiety - but don't worry, there are lots of different ways to balance and re-open this chakra. Try out a few different methods until you find what works for you.
50 Root Chakra journal prompts for strength and stability
What is the Base Chakra?
Essential oils for the Root Chakra (Top 10)
The best essential oils for the Heart Chakra (top 10)
50 Root Chakra affirmations
How to heal the Root Chakra
What color is the Root Chakra?
What is the Root Chakra Frequency? (sound healing explained)
How to unblock the Root Chakra
The Best Mudras for Root Chakra Awakening and Alignment
What are Root Chakra foods?
What essential oils are good for the Sacral Chakra? (top 10)
Which way do chakras spin? (and what to do if they're not spinning)
How to do candle meditation and what are the benefits
Where to place crystals for the Root Chakra
What happens when the Heart Chakra opens? (15 symptoms)
What Is Your Power Chakra? Based on Your Zodiac Sign
50 Solar Plexus Chakra Affirmations to Boost Positivity and Self-Esteem
What is the 114 Chakras Map?